Nestled in the heart of the village is Prestwood’s very own charity shop, Sweet Charity. Step inside and you will be greeted by friendly smiles, local chatter and all manner of reasonably priced second hand items and things you never thought you needed!
Sweet Charity opened its doors in November 2010. It is registered as a business under the name S C Chiltern Ltd and trades as Sweet Charity. The team is comprised of three directors, a board of ten trustees and approximately 25 volunteers who help to run the shop. Each member of the team gives their time freely and all profits are donated to local groups, societies and other charities in and around Prestwood and Great Missenden. In addition to the regular volunteers, Sweet Charity also relies heavily on the generosity of the local community in the form of shop donations and purchases.
The large window is a focal point of the shop and is regularly updated according to the season/current events. Themes have included VE Day, gardening, weddings, new baby, Halloween, Christmas, etc. The Christmas window even included a mantelpiece and fireplace. There seems to be no limit to the creative talents of the volunteers!
The ‘Sweet’ smell of success
In four and a half years, Sweet Charity has successfully raised in the region of £150k and has supported over 40 local groups in the process. Below is a small selection of the projects and groups that have benefited from donations:-
- New Fiat Panda Cross 4×4 vehicle for Prestwood First Responders
- New goals and team kit for Prestwood Colts & Girls Football Club
- Netball team kit and tracksuits for The Misbourne School
- New library chairs and Kindles for The Misbourne School
- Two public access AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators)
- Equipment for the Beavers at 1st Lee Common Scouts
- Flat roof repairs at Prestwood Village Hall
- New mini bus for MS Society
- Equipment for Chiltern Air Ambulance
- Funding for Chequers Surgery advice sessions for Prestwood CAB
- Marquee hire for Lighthouse
- Summer outing for Prestwood Forget Me Not Club
- Research project and website for Prestwood Archive
- 30mph wheelie bin stickers for Prestwood Village Association
- Website for Misbourne Neighbourhood Action Group
- Equipment for Holy Trinity Preschool
- New cricket pavilion
- Repairs to Guide and Youth Club building
How to apply for funding
To request financial assistance for your group or project, please complete and return a Sweet Charity application form. Please click on the links to download the form and application information:-
Alternatively, you can collect a form from the shop on Chequers Parade or via email email@example.com.
All grant applications are discussed and decided by the Board of Trustees which meets every two months.
Can you help?
Sweet Charity is always on the lookout for more willing volunteers to help run the shop. A job description and application form are available to download below or from the shop or via email firstname.lastname@example.org:-
They also welcome regular donations of clean good quality new and used items; clothes, shoes, accessories, household items, books and toys. Items that cannot be sold are sold for recycling.
Keep in touch
Sweet Charity is located in the centre of the village next to the Post Office. Opening times and full contact details are:-