BRIGHT IDEAS TO KEEP YOUR HOME SAFE IN THE DARK EVENINGS
This time of year when the clocks have gone back homes are in darkness early in the afternoon – a gift for opportunist burglars.
To avoid becoming a victim of burglary, Chiltern District Council and South Bucks District Councils Joint Community Safety team is encouraging householders to take some simple steps to protect their home:
- Use a timer switch to turn on lights and a radio to give the impression someone is home
- Keep valuables and other electronic equipment such as laptops out of sight
- Security mark valuables with a UV pen and register them with immobilise.com
- Double lock UPVC doors or use dead locks on solid doors
- Keep all spare keys, including car keys, away from the front door and out of sight to avoid them being ‘fished’ through the letter box
- Keep windows locked with the key and keep it out of sight
- Don’t leave packaging of expensive items purchased on view as an advertisement to thieves
Neighbourhood Police Officers will be patrolling in residential areas and if they believe a property is at risk of being burgled, they will pop a ‘Here’s a bright idea’ card through the door along with contact details for further crime prevention advice.
You can also contact Chiltern District Council and South Bucks District Council’s Joint Community Safety team on 01494 586535 and for further crime reduction advice you can visit:- https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/residential-burglary/ www.chiltern.gov.uk/crimereduction or www.southbucks.gov.uk/crimereduction.